Thursday, June 23, 2011

Creatively Crazy

My Facebook status: I cranked out my first creative writing assignment. So far being creative is a lot easier than being opinionated about something I don't give a shit about (Academic Writing).

This is the result of my first writing assignment.  I took multiple conversations with my friend, some random ideas, and some lines from my blog posts, smooshed them together, and this is what came out.  I'm sure my classmates think I'm very strange now.  I guess it's good that they found out sooner rather than later though. 

I remember coming to this cabin as a teenager with Susan.  Now, years later, Susan and I are here with our kids.  I don’t think we look any different than when we were sixteen but somehow time flew by and we got old enough to have kids.  It’s an odd thing to walk through these woods watching my daughter push Susan’s daughter in a stroller.  I wonder if our girls will have a friendship like ours.  I wonder if their personalities will complement each other the same way.  I hope they don’t get in as much trouble together as we did.  Hmmm…maybe I should stop this friendship before it starts.  “I should have had a cup of coffee before we left.  I can’t focus anymore in the morning without it,” I said, breaking the silence. 

“I can’t even focus with coffee since I had kids.  I have mommy-mush brain.  I keep hoping my boss hasn’t noticed that I have gotten markedly dumber in the last year,” Susan replied. 

“That gets a little better when the kids get older, but not much.  I still can’t remember things the way I used to be able to.  It seems like my brain only has room for really important information now, like my phone number.  Even the important things disappear sometimes…like my mom’s phone number.  Maybe that’s a bad example though, that might just be my subconscious at work.” 

"How do you feel about the big three-oh coming up next week?" she asked me. 

"I am feeling alright about it.  I do feel like my body is slowly dying as the days go by.  Can you hear that?  That’s my hip popping."

"Turning thirty didn't really affect me too much.  I still felt like I did when I was in my twenties.  Although I'm thirty-two now and I swear to God I looked in the mirror the other day, saw the little wrinkles around my eyes, and thought 'This is it!  I already hit my prime!  It's all downhill from here,'" Susan said with a stone-cold, serious look on her face.

“I am not really afraid of the wrinkles; my biggest fear about getting older and living in the suburbs is turning into a Republican.”

“I have a public service job and a ton of school loans.  I think I’ll always be too poor to turn into a Republican.”  

I giggled, "Seriously though, I had kids when I was twenty which means my prime was right around a day before I got pregnant.  That ship sailed a long time ago.  Although, I have noticed that my attitude has changed a lot in the last couple of years.  I walked into a jeans store the other day and saw a pair of jeans for seventy-five bucks with giant holes in them.  I loudly proclaimed that anyone who would spend that much money on a pair of jeans that already has holes in them is an idiot.  I was by myself so everyone looked at me funny, but anyway, where did that come from?  When did I turn into my parents?  More importantly, when did I start talking to myself in public?”

“I think when you have to work all day at a job you hate to earn enough money to buy one pair of jeans, your standards just get higher.” 

“Maybe that is it.  Speaking of working all day for nothing, I really thought I would be making more money by now or at least doing something more important with my life.  Instead I spend my day being belittled by lesser human beings.  Is getting older about realizing that you’re not as special as you thought you were?  Is it about letting go of the fairy tale once and for all?”

“You’re raising two kids by yourself; I think that’s pretty extraordinary.”

“Maybe raising kids that don’t need years of therapy is the only really extraordinary feat left for me.  It amazes me how many of our friends have kids now.  I read a Kurt Vonnegut quote the other day that reminded me of us.  He had said:  'True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.'  Isn’t that the truth?  I can't believe that our friends are parents, cops, teachers, doctors, for goodness sakes...you're a lawyer!  How did that happen?  We’re collectively responsible for some very important things, which is terrifying.  Honestly, if any of our friends go into politics, that will be the last straw, I will move to another country." 

We looked at each other with a glimmer of terror in our eyes.  We walked on to the sounds of my hip popping and the birds chirping, both silently contemplating a move to Europe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment